Friday, June 29, 2018

I found this post from August 2017 in drafts

So I thought camp was going well.  Camp is going well.  6yo was happy.  He's the child that I often felt would do well in school.  He doesn't have sitting issues.  He likes to learn the way that schools teach.  He is social.  He's not shy or nervous.

The only reason I didn't send him to preschool (aside from the $7-9,000 price tag) is that he was a rather intense toddler who had lots of tantrums and violent behavior.  He kicked, hit, and bit.  I felt that this behavior is difficult for the preschool classroom and was not sure that the teachers would handle it in a way that was effective and at the same time not shaming.  (Heck, I barely skated by on the skin of my teeth on that goal, so I was reluctant to foist it on the preschool teachers with 20 other kids in the room.)  But he grew up, he wants friends, and I thought camp was a great environment for that.

He's learning, he's davening, he has friends.  Camp is lovely.

Except when he doesn't want to go.  And complains that it's boring.  And he has to sit for so long.

This morning, he said he doesn't want to go to camp anymore.  It's been like that--some days he goes happily, some days he says he doesn't want to go anymore.  Today, he started throwing things at me.  His shoes, a large lego, a puzzle.

It occurred to me that he's throwing things at me because he feels that I'm not hearing him.  And he's saying that he doesn't want to go.

I was planning to send him only a half-day today because it's Friday and we want to avoid traffic.

****

Postscript to this: He began getting stomachaches.  So badly that I took him to the doctor.  There was nothing physical wrong. He began crying he didn't want to go.  So after a fantastic year at camp last year, and a fantastic first month this year, he stayed home for the second month.  I felt a lot of things

  • like a failure because her kid can't hack daycamp
  • grateful that I don't send him to school because what if he was crying like this every day about school and was so miserable and I thought about the stress of all those parents who cope with this with their children regularly
  • glad that I could just pull him out of camp and this whole issue went away
  • secretly fearful that the problem is me/my homeschooling/my child/my parenting rather than it being just "not a match"
He wanted to go to camp again this summer.  For just one month.  So I signed him up.  And...



No comments:

Post a Comment