Friday, May 31, 2013

translation

The translations are choking me!  This made no sense in English to me:

24 And they shall be double beneath, and in like manner they shall be complete unto the top thereof unto the first ring; thus shall it be for them both; they shall be for the two corners.

That's from mechon-mamre.  I just read it and read it and I just don't get it.

It's talking about the planks of the mishkan.  I finally cracked open the Stone Chumash, which also has nice pictures, as well as commentary that makes some sense out of these pesukim.  I didn't really like Stone for Mishpatim, but it's decent for Mishkan.

24 They shall be even at the bottom, and together shall they match at its top, for a single ring, so shall it be for them both, for the two corners shall they be.

I'm still having trouble.  The planks should be "twins" or even from the bottom, and together they should be complete on top (or match on top) to fit into one ring (Stone has an illustration to clarify).  It will be that way for both of them (what will be what way for both of that?  The ring and evenness for both planks of the pair?).  For the 2 corners they will be.  (but aren't there 4 corners??)

I may need to do some more research on some different sites that talk about how the planks are held together.  These pesukim are really difficult to translate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment