Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The Difference Between Homeschooling and Unschooling

We've been incorporating more limudei kodesh into our day as the boys get older.  This week has been particularly jampacked as we are trying to gather paperwork for Chen to apply to college.  So some of the daily things I'd been trying to keep up with (Aharon's reading, Jack's Chumash, Elazar's trup and mishna) keep slipping away.

Today, as I was mentally listing all the things I was not doing, it occurred to me that this is a big difference between homeschooling and unschooling.


  • In homeschool, I always have a mental list of things I want to be teaching or to get done with the kids
  • In unschool, there is no list and nothing that needs to be taught; all I need to do is enjoy them and whatever they are doing and learning and thinking about

  • In homeschool, I have to remember to call them over and make time to coax them to learn
  • In unschool, I don't have to think about it at all or remember anything because they come to me and ask me to learn with them

  • In homeschool, when I don't get it done, I fret that it teaches them that we are not prioritizing Torah
  • In unschool, I trust that Torah is desirable and they will learn it when they want it

    of course I wonder if
  • In homeschool, they learn skills and Torah
  • In unschool, will they learn??
(Ironically, I write this having spent over an hour with Chen learning Chavakuk because she asked me to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment