Wednesday, October 17, 2018

ADHD

Let it be remembered that in 2018, when E was 11, I was reading a book to him.  It is a book he loves (we are reading the Bruno and Boots series by Gordon Korman, which he didn't like initially but which eventually grew on him).  He asked me to read it to him.  The chapter was six pages long.  In fairly large print.  Reading level of book is 4th or 5th grade.



This is what happened about a minute after I started reading.

I waited until he finished.  Then a couple of minutes later, when he did it again, I recorded him--the above is the 2nd time.  Then, after that, I recorded and paused and recorded and paused and recorded each time he jumped up.  He knew I was recording so I don't even think he was as floppy and intensely sensory seeking as he usually is, since some of his energy was in engaging me.



In homeschool, he can move when he needs to move.  And he needs to move about one minute into doing an "academic" activity.  This is why I have largely found it counterproductive to do any type of learning where I speak and he is "supposed" to sit and listen.

Chen, who is studying neurology, says that his brain doesn't have sufficient dopamine and the movement gives him the dopamine he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment