Thursday, June 11, 2015

Shulchan Aruch Yomi when restless

So I've been doing Shulchan Aruch Yomi with Elazar, who is a month shy of 8yo.  These last couple of days, he's been coming upstairs (he puts himself to bed, around 10:30pm) to say hello and for a quick cuddle, and then goes back down.  I asked him if he wanted to do Shulchan Aruch and he said yes.  (Usually I catch him during the day and ask if he wants to, and sometimes it's a good time for him and sometimes he says not now.)

So even though this evening he said yes, he was pretty restless.  It was about tzitzis (actually tallis) and he doesn't wear a tallis and doesn't relate to it.  He was jumping around and rolling around on the floor and I realized I was sort of talking to myself.  Maybe he was paying a bit of attention.

Twice or three times I asked him to come sit on the bed so I could see his face.  He knows about making brachos to be yotzei others and there was a halacha about that and I thought he would like it.

Overall, it felt like
a) I was in the classroom trying to teach reluctant students.  Ugh.
b) I cannot imagine him coping in a 2nd grade (and next year 3rd grade) classroom.

And here's Jack (age 5.5) now at 9:56pm wanting to do R' Winder and read.

1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a like button, I wrote a comment and it somehow disappeared:). Anyways, I can totally relate to two different kids with completely different temperaments. My eldest son who is six won't sit still and can often seem like he's not hearing you, though he usually is hearing very well--I just can't see him being comfortable in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete