Thursday, September 6, 2018

the opposite of unschooling

Jack is learning because he wants to earn a phone.  He spends a lot of time during the learning thinking about how many pages are left in the chumash and how long it will take him to earn it.  He doesn't seem to especially enjoy learning.  However, we have moments of questions or nuances that I love.  I don't know if he loves it. 

I thought Elazar and I had a really nice lesson yesterday.  We did only 2 pesukim (they were long, though).  Bereshis 21:16-17.  Where Hagar went the distance of an arrow shot.  I had Elazar stand and imagine himself with a bow and I kept walking further and further until he estimated how far the arrow would go.

But today he's still reluctant.  He still has the memory of it being boring and hard to sit through. 

I was going to try to go through 4 pesukim today.  But that's too much.  I'm going to go through 2 today and 2 tomorrow.  And then it's already Shabbos, and Sunday is Erev Rosh Hashana and I'll be cooking.  And so I will only get through revi'i of the first day of Rosh Hashana leining.

Yet again, I find that it's important to pare down my expectations when dealing with ADHD.  To make it in small, manageable chunks.  To make it as painless as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment