Sunday, March 4, 2018

What would you have done differently?

I came across this post today.  Seasoned unschoolers were asked what they would have done differently. 

The whole thing is worth a read.

http://sandradodd.com/hindsight/


  • I would have responded more kindly and with less blame to my kids
  • tell myself to relax, that the influence that matters most in those early years is mine and Doug's generous and open support of Ethan's wonder at the world around him,
  • I'd tell myself to calm down and worry less, not pander to anyone else's ideals and I'd trust my kid a lot more.
  • I'd have worried less when the kids were younger (like 3-5) about "introducing" things like music or art or going to museums
  • relax and accept the moment more. I'd use my calm voice more, rather than my frustrated-and-fed-up voice, especially when *I* was the tensest one in the room
  • While I did let my son learn to read in his own time, I stressed for years about whether I was doing the right thing...So I'm glad I forged through, but the stress was a waste...
  • I wish I could have enjoyed the moment...I would have made my choices based on love not worry or guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment