Sunday, May 12, 2019

Thursday, April 4, 2019

So it's been a little over a month since I started learning Elazar's bar mitzva parsha.  I've learned almost 9 pesukim and a strong appreciation for the efforts a bar mitzva boy puts in.  It's hard to believe my brothers did their parshas, the haftorahs, and musaf.

We were at a bar mitzva on Shabbos and I felt tremendous envy as the boy did a bang up job at his leining.  Elazar wasn't even in shul for the candy part.  I'm definitely feeling the pain/effort of backing off and trying to accommodate Elazar's nature.  (Which is also why I'm glad Ari's mainly in charge of the boys' chinuch.  I am definitely the type who can be too pressure-y.) I remind myself that stress and tics would be the result if I don't.

I was talking about it with Ari afterwards, and he said the bar mitzva boy's aliyah is be maftir.  And I'm not sure why we didn't discuss this before, but maftir for Matos-Masei is only 3 pesukim, despite it being the longest parsha ever.  I took a look at the pesukim and they are so much easier than what I've been learning.  I'll continue learning his parsha on the off chance he wants to do it.  But it's looking like maftir might be manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment